By D.G. McCabe
So a bit of a summer lull here at Grandcanyonscope has been broken up with some actual news – Emmy nominations:
My snap reactions are as follows:
1. I think the word “category” doesn’t mean what the Television Academy thinks it means. Orange is the New Black is a comedy? American Horror Story is a miniseries but True Detective is a Drama Series?
2. One day people will be watching the complete series of “The Americans.” Like “The Wire” before it, there will be abject surprise and shock when those viewers find out that the show got only two Emmy nominations for its first two seasons. The Wire got only two as well, neither of which it won, and is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, series of all time. Way to go Emmy voters.
3. That’s another thing – how does Downton Abbey keep getting nominated for awards? Sure this past season was better than the Game of Thrones-light slaughterhouse that was season three, but not much better. I get that Maggie Smith is amazing but the rest of the show is descending in quality like whale droppings.
4. Game of Thrones deserves its nominations, but I think that it might keep getting passed over for Best Drama. If it can’t win for seasons with Blackwater and Rains of Castamere, I’m not sure if it can.
5. And this year’s “old voters desperately trying to look ‘with it'” nomination goes to: Silicon Valley!
(c) 2014 D.G. McCabe